Friday, September 20, 2013

The Rest of the Story...

So I hinted at something interesting happening during the rest of the trip I recently took to New Orleans. Well, the week before we went, I mentioned to Jay that we should make a pit-stop in Dallas for the Giants/Cowboys game. We did a little digging, and discovered that it was a mere $100 to make the change, so we did it! We flew from New Orleans to Dallas Sunday morning, then went straight to the 6th Floor Museum, the place where Kennedy was shot. As a student/nerd of American history, more specifically Presidential history, this was a dream of mine.
Looking down from the 6th floor window on Dealey Plaza.

The upper, right window you see just above the tree line is the window where Oswald stood.
I'm standing near the spot of the fatal shot. The trees were small in the 60's, but the plaza
remains largely unchanged.

X's mark the street, designating shot points.
The museum is thoughtful, and easy to navigate. I especially loved the audio tour, which comes free with the museum entry fee. It's an app on an iPod, and allows the tourist to decide what information they'd like to know more about. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to visit a place that holds such history.
Sunday night, we attended the game!
The incomparable George Strait tossed the coin to start the game!

Great seats!

Can you tell which of us was happiest?

Our photo preview from the Cowboys photographer.
Monday morning, we visited Southern Methodist University, site of the brand-new George W. Bush Library. And here is where I had the most exciting excitement I could be excited about! Everyone who knows me, knows I love President Bush. (I've been known to warn my husband that I might run away with him.) I joked to Jay that it would be funny if Bush were there while we were visiting....
Beautiful front entrance.

Being a Scottish Terrier owner, I loved this portrait.

"W" with Dad.
 And here comes the amazing part. We decided to eat in the lovely restaurant on-site called 43. Once we sat down, I looked to my left, and noticed a striking lady who looked JUST like Condoleeza Rice. I took a double take, and sure enough it WAS her! I was thrilled to be able to see her in person, so I snuck a photo.
 While still reeling from the excitement of seeing someone I admire very much (I'm reading her book "No Higher Honor" right now, I looked to might right and noticed Laura Bush sitting at a different table! Can you believe this?

We had a fun weekend, and I can't wait to get back to my beloved Dallas again!

No comments:

Post a Comment