Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Rough Road Ahead

As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a kid leaving for college. Well... Today is the day. We leave this evening to take him up to KU, where we will attend freshman orientation tomorrow morning, and move him into his dorm Friday morning.
The road to this day has been much more difficult to anticipate. I have run through emotions I never thought I would experience. From sadness to relief. (I think the relief has been the biggest surprise.) Since neither Jay or I went away to college- we were too busy raising this kid, this is a new experience for all of us.
Jay rode his bike with me while I went for a 6 mile run last night, and we talked about the details involving move-in weekend. Towards the end of the conversation, he said, "I just hope he realizes what a great opportunity he has and doesn't do anything to mess it up!" Amen to that, my man! We want so much for this child, and we are so proud of him.
If you think of it, say a prayer for us that we will be wise in our conversations with him, and also that we will know when to just make him tough things out, and not sweep in to save the day.
One new blessing is that my in-laws moved to our town over the summer, so our younger kids can stay with grandparents, and be perfectly well taken care of and not off their routine while we settle our oldest. I'm so thankful for them and their help.
Shirt: Anthro Pilcro Boy Tee (similar here)
Jeans: Gap Real Straight Distressed (standard here, similar here, love these too)
Shoes: J Crew Mona Pump (available here, love this color!, cheaper here)
Necklace: Anthro Sagitta Necklace (similar here, similar colors)
Watch: J Crew Vintage Field (similar band here)




No comments:

Post a Comment