Monday, January 30, 2012

Smart Chick Monday: Manners & Morals

As I walked my shopping cart back into the grocery store, I noticed all the carts left behind in odd places all over the parking lot. Including handicapped stalls, parking spots and grassy medians.  I can't help but wonder if I am the only one that is bothered by these things.
As our society becomes more and more attached to technology, we seem to become more and more lazy.  Even in our exercise we can take the easy way out. Example? We drive 3 miles to the gym, look for a front row parking spot, and hop on a treadmill to walk 3 miles. (Not judging, I'm guilty!)
So are manners and morals important?  What is important to you is not going to be as important to me. How do we reconcile that?
Sweater: Gap
Scarf: American Eagle
Boots: Target
Bracelets: Tiffany/Pandora
I have often thought (and said), "You can't legislate morality." It has to be taught, and caught. We all want to live in a clean environment, but what do we do to contribute to that environment?  I am not a tree-hugger, but I do love trees. They are a part of God's creation, and I find God more easily in nature than any other place. I also work to develop these characteristics in my children.  We look for a beautiful sunset, we talk about it. We also talk about living in such a way as to positively impact others around us. "No man is an island." And really, would we want to be?  It seems like a nice concept, but really no one likes to be alone for long.
So what manners and morals are most important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment