Monday, January 23, 2012

Smart Chick Monday: December 1941

When you write a fashion blog, it is very easy for people to think that surface issues are the only thing that matter to you. Nothing could be further from the truth in my case.  I have a cousin that I have a very close relationship with who frequently asks me, "Why was I born with this love of fashion? It does not translate easily into a way to help people."  We toss about theories as to why we both love fashion, but ultimately, it is just one piece of the bigger puzzle.  Because the other things we talk about are our marriages, disciplining our children, how and when to pray, and books we are reading.
Perhaps I feel the need to overcompensate because I never went to college, but I choose to read books that will make me a smarter woman. I am a voracious reader, but have not always chosen to read books that will truly expand my depth of knowledge.  A few years ago, I decided to make reading quality books more of a priority, instead of wasting time on surface reading. Don't get me wrong, I still like the occasional historical fiction novel, I just am not characterized by it.
With all that being said, I would like for us to have a sort-of online book club. I will share with you what I am reading, and I would love it if you would give me feedback about what you are reading. This could also include reading articles. I love history, politics, sports, fashion, food- all those topics and more, so there is a broad range of interests for us to talk about.
To kick us off, I wanted to share a book I got for Christmas from Jay. I am reading it slowly, in order to absorb the information better. (Plus, I am also participating in a very in-depth Bible study, and that saps my brain power sometimes.)

Smart Girl 1/13/12



December 1941 by Craig Shirley is this feature's book. (You can see the review and order here.)
My grandfather fought in WWII, so this time period has always fascinated me.  This is a 31 chapter book, each covering on day in December, leading up to December 7th and the days after.

Jacket: Gap, thrifted
Shirt: Navy striped Gap, thrifted
Scarf: Anthropologie, Welkin Dotted Scarf
Jeans: Anthropologie Pilcro Stet Slim Straight
Shoes: Keds, Champion Fall Stripes
Earrings: Lucky, Shaky Owl
Bracelet: J Crew, leather wrap
What are you reading right now? Do you have any good recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment