Sunday, November 20, 2011

Delicious Banana Bread

I don't normally like to post more than once a day, but I have something I MUST share with you.
When we lived in Iowa and shopped regularly at Hyvee for groceries, I bought ripe bananas in a sack- often.  The sack itself had recipe ideas on how to use ripe bananas.  I tore my favorite off, and made it all the time.  I even got up the morning I had Zachery and made a double batch to take to the hospital for my kids!  Somehow during the move, I lost that piece of paper, and have been unable to copy the recipe for the life of me.
Well, after quite a bit of digging, I finally found the recipe and made it last week, but since I was in a chocolate mood, and wanted to make it semi-healthy, I doctored it up quite a bit. So here is my take on banana bread.  It is so delicious you must try it! (I insist.)
1 stick butter
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large ripe bananas (if I have more, I throw more in)
1 c quick-cooking oats
1/2 c special dark cocoa (can use regular cocoa)
1 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix this, but you can do it by hand if your butter is room temp.
Cream butter and sugar till well blended, then add eggs mixing one at a time.
Sift flour, soda and salt, then add to wet mixture, just till barely mixed, then add bananas, oats, cocoa and vanilla.  Stir in chocolate chips. Do NOT overmix. This changes the chemical compound of your flour and makes the bread dry.
I made a double batch and baked in a greased/floured bundt pan.  This morning, I made it for my kids into muffins.
Either way, cook in a 350* oven. Bundt or loaf pan approx. 45-55 min. Muffins, approx 13 min.  Do not over bake. Check at minimum time by piercing with a fork or cake tester in the center. It should come out with the cake slightly sticking to the fork, but not wet.
Let me know if you try it, and how it comes out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment